Thursday, August 14, 2008

Welcome to my Blog

So I have a blog. What will I add to the discussion that makes any difference to anyone and why would they want to read my opinion?


I see myself somewhere between the geek and the masses. I work with technology all the time and enjoy when I find something different and interesting, but I am not the early adopter and I don't see myself doing many beta evaluations for new services. What I hope I can do is continue working with the tools that I know and look for new technologies as they grow.


Here is a post that I ran across recently from Regular Geek. They put together several other opinions with their own opinion summarizing, what is the difference between the "Passionates" and the "Non-Passionates" (those are Robert Scobles terms). I don't think I would put it quite that definitively. I think there are true fanatics (Passionates) and they are the ones that really go after the tool and provide first rate feedback to the developers. After that I think there is everybody else.


Personally I have used several tools for a while and have begun to use others that I think are going to be useful. Here is a quick summary of the tools I will be discussing in future posts;

  • Facebook is the industry leader when it comes to social networking. I don't generally spend much time there, but I will keep an eye on it as I start contributing more to this blog.
  • LinkenIn is Facebook for your career. I do spend a lot of time here and have a good list of people I know and keep in touch with through this.
  • Delicious is a simple concept (many of the best things are simple) that I really think works. They call it social bookmarking.
  • Twitter is just about as simple as you can get. It asks the question, What are you doing? The answers can be addictive.
  • Google Reader is something new I am trying and getting interested in quickly. It compiles all of your favorite sites into one page and lets you know when something new is posted. Still just looking, but it is very handy so far.
  • Disqus is a tool to compile all of your activity on the web, from your published pages on your blog to comments you leave on others sites. Still trying to decide how useful this is, but I am still kind of new in this arena.
  • Blogger is the tool I chose to publish this blog with. There are a few options out there, but I decided to keep it all in the Google family of tools.

I also expect to add a few other things that occur in my life, if I think they are interesting.


So that's what I am planning for this blog. I picked a name, Tech4EveryoneElse, that took more thought than you might expect, that I hope means a little bit about the content and is appropriate for the opinions I will provide.


I hope this catches the eye of a few of you out there and if you want to add a comment please do. I will try and reply back when I can. If you have suggestions for other tools or blogs that you think would be interesting please add them also.

No comments: